The following documents and information are required:
• Manufacturer’s certificate of origin properly assigned to the buyer by the selling dealer
• Application for title/registration Boat Application TC 96-184
• Title Lien Statement TC96-187E, if applicable (Outboard motors require filing on UCC with Secretary of State)
• Social Security number for each party appearing on the title or federal ID tax number for companies
• Invoice from the dealer, if purchased out of state.
Any delinquent property tax owed may prohibit title/registration.
NOTE: Boat trailers are required to be titled, they are not required to be licensed.
Property tax for your vehicles, trailers and boats are assessed by the Property Valuation Administrator on January 1st of each year. The property tax is due in the month of April along with the registration fee.
Advalorem taxes on boats shall become delinquent following the earlier of the end of the month in which the registration is due or the last day of the second calender month following the month in which a boat was transferred.
$ 9.00 Kentucky Title Fee
$ 22.00 Title Lien, if applicable
$ 2.00 Notary of Each Signature
If you purchased your new boat from an out of state dealer, you will be required to pay 6% sales tax on the purchase of your boat.
If you paid tax to the dealer, you will be given credit for the tax.
NOTES: Registration Fees will be calculated according to length of boat and type of motor.
$ 15.00 Trolling Motors
$ 25.00 1 foot to 16 feet ( 1 foot thru 15 feet 11 inches)
$ 29.00 16 feet to 26 feet (16 feet thru 25 feet 11 inches)
$ 35.00 26 feet to 40 feet (26 feet thru 39 feet 11 inches)
$ 39.00 40 feet and over
$ 40.00 Any class with inboard or inboard/outboard motors. Water Jet